Friday, January 17, 2014

Studying for and Passing the SPHR

I’m excited to say that I recently took and passed my SPHR certification exam.  This piece is all about the SPHR – what I think about the certification, why I took it, and how I prepared to pass.

For many individuals and organizations, the jury is still out on the value of HR certification.  I have now taken and passed both the PHR and SPHR certification exam.  Here are some of my takeaways and opinions after reaching this achievement.

Why I Got Certified:  During my 2012 performance appraisal at work, I needed to set some professional development goals and outline a plan.  Sitting for the SPHR seemed like a natural next step, and something I thought I could achieve.  So, I set my goal for taking the exam during the winter testing window at the end of 2013.  

Value of Certification:  I’ll be honest – I was frustrated studying for the SPHR.  Why you ask (other than studying is not my favorite night and weekend activity)?  I struggled to see how all the effort I put into studying was going to actually make me better at my job (or future roles).  Most of the content was repetitive from the courses I took while receiving my master’s degree at Purdue University.  There were areas I needed to brush up on, mostly because I don’t or haven’t used those topics extensively in my career.  When I was ensuring I was well versed in these areas, I became a little negative about the process since I knew this knowledge was not necessarily going to make me perform better in my current role.  HOWEVER (here it comes), I do think there is value in obtaining HR certification. 
 
I know this comes across as contradictory, but bear with me.  I’m taking a long-term and holistic stance on this one.  In the long run, HR certification is an added bonus for any skilled HR professional.  While some organizations are unsure of the value of certification, other organizations recognize the PHR or SPHR as a highly desirable resume point when hiring HR pros.  Additionally, there is a whole slew of research on the topic that suggests obtaining HR certification can be fuel for promotions, a door opener to the executive suite, and that it provides HR professionals with greater career satisfaction.  Check out this report on the topic by PayScale:  Sugarcoating or Career Sweetener?

Preparing for the PHR/SPHR:  I used a similar method to prepare for both exams.  Therefore, this sentence is a disclaimer to let you know I’ve not tested all of the methods I mention in this post.  My preferred method of preparation is self-study.  For both exams, I went to Amazon.com and purchased the highest rated study book for each exam.  Both times, I spent about $35-$40 on the prep book.  Both times, I also purchased one of the timed web-based practice tests available on HRCI’s website ($45).  I made sure that the books I bought through Amazon included practice questions – and they actually included a web-based option as well to access additional practice questions and a practice exam.  Simulating the test-taking experience is helpful for me.  Why did I choose this method?  Two reasons – I have the self-discipline to study on my own, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money!  Between the book and HRCI practice exam, my preparation set me back about $85.  Here is the book I used for my SPHR preparation:  PHR / SPHR: Professional in Human Resources Certification Study Guide.  Most other options are far pricier, which I’ll get into next.

The SHRM Learning System is a favorite among the professional for preparing for certification.  I know many HR pros that have used the SHRM Learning System, and honestly I don’t know of anyone who has failed using this preparation method.  In fact, I just recently purchased it for members on my HR team to use to take the PHR in the spring testing window of 2014.  I can do an update to this post after I see this the product in action.  Overall, I think the SHRM Learning system provides a very comprehensive way to prepare, including online features and several opportunities for web-based practice.  I would have used this study method myself, if it didn't cost $870 ($695 for SHRM members). 

The final method I've seen for preparation that appears to be effective is to take a preparation course taught by an instructor.  This method is particularly effective for individuals who lack self-discipline when it comes to studying (which there’s nothing wrong with).  For example, I have a terrible habit of slacking on my workout routine, but when I take a class, the accountability of actually going to class, and sitting with other individuals tends to get me more active, and works better for me than self-directed workout regimens.  Some people find this to be true for studying, and if that’s you, I recommend looking into a course led by an instructor.  These courses are offered through local colleges and universities, local SHRM chapters, or other various locations.  The downside, the typical cost I see for these courses in my area is about $1300 - $1700.  Wow – that’s expensive!

As a closing note, I would say that if you’re interested in obtaining HR certification, you should definitely go for it!  While it may not contribute directly to getting you promoted or landing that HR dream job, it definitely won’t kill your chances either.  Besides, putting those initials behind your name is sort of cool.


What are your thoughts on HR certification and preparing for the exams?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the discussion!